Tuesday, February 17, 2009

AV receiver metadata

I just purchased a new Onkyo TX-SR806 AV receiver. I love the features. However, I was a little disappointed with it not offering to display artist and song title across the front display. My two year old car displays the artist and song title, but not my new $900 receiver. I'm guessing my car radio did not cost $900.

Displaying the artist and song info is actually know as RT (radio text) which is a subcategory of RDS (radio data system). From what I have read in the instruction manual, this technology was developed in the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). It can also be used to categorize the FM station genre. Although not real important to me to have this on the new AV receiver, it seems like a nice feature which was left behind.


Marc
www.HomeTheaterIntegrators.com